Confessions of a 'Happy Person' - Sometimes People Suck

After working with hundreds of people over the last few years, I've come across many who have frustrated and annoyed me. Some are rude. Some ask silly questions. Some yell at me. Some waste my time. And most don't intend to do that.

In an effort to debunk the myth that if you're 'happy' you never get annoyed, I've come up with some things to keep in mind.

People will disappoint you.

Even ones you love will break promises, not follow-through or outright lie to you about their intentions. Sometimes this is intentional, mostly it's not.

Not everyone will agree with you.

Some will say you're wrong or you don't know what you're talking about. Some will give you a look, and others will point at you and laugh. This doesn't feel good, but it happens and there is nothing you can do. Trying to please everyone will leave you burnt out, unhappy and you'll still have people who think you're "doing it wrong."

Not everyone will like you.

Just like #2, about 50% of the people will like you and about 50% will not. Trying to make everyone like you in not authentic and by doing so you're also leaving your integrity on the floor to be stomped all over. It is hard going against the crowd, but staying true to who you are and standing up for your own values will leave you happier than having a lot of "friends" who don't even like the real you.

Everyone has a shadow.

It shows up as fear, jealousy and sabotage. There are some people who are so unhappy, uncomfortable and un-confident that they will do what they can to bring you down. Don't be surprised if these people end up being the ones you thought you could depend on. Sad, but true. Those closest to you might get a little bit jealous when you start losing weight, making more money or playing a bigger game. They'll get passive-aggressive, or outright snarky, and they'll do what they can to make you feel bad. Jealousy can get ugly.

While you might have a perfect life where none of this exists (if that's the case, why are you reading this?) 99% of us do not. I have been fairly lucky, between my attraction marketing plan (in business and in life) and doing a Life Cleanse on myself twice a year since 2009, I have eliminated a lot of this. But I do get the odd troll who just wants to bring me down, and often its the trolls I thought I could depend on that sting the most.

So what can you do?


Recognize them for what they are: Human.

People have bad days, and some are just mean spirited. If they're a snarky email comment, or a nasty Facebook Friend or Twitter follower, delete and block. If it's someone in your life, you'll have to make bigger changes to yourself (or your relationship).

Acknowledge that "it is what it is."

The reality of your situation is that it is what it is, because it is what you're currently experiencing. And fighting it or disagreeing with it won't make it go away, or make you feel better. In fact, you'll usually feel worse.

Turn to your true "tribe" for proper support (you know the ones that you know for sure, are there for you).

My true tribe is really small...a tribe of about 5, depending on the issue, but I have a tribe of several thousand through Twitter and Facebook who I can count on most of the time to "get" me. Not always, but like I said, my attraction marketing works and I have some amazing people in my social media circle.

That's it for this true-life confession. Don't feel bad, you're not alone, sometimes people really do suck, but it's nothing personal.

There is so much more to this than I can write in a short article, but it doesn't have to be difficult or time consuming. You can easily learn more about this topic by going to The Happiness Movement website at http://thenowofhappiness.com.

Image Credit: healingdream / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hello We are OddThemes, Our name came from the fact that we are UNIQUE. We specialize in designing premium looking fully customizable highly responsive blogger templates. We at OddThemes do carry a philosophy that: Nothing Is Impossible