best decision decision making tips decision-making process effective decision-making good decision-making make decisions
I Do Not Know What to Do: Tips for Effective Decision-Making
Many situations in life will require people to make decisions that will change the course of their lives. Most of the time, we are challenged to make decisions about situations we are familiar with, but other times, we will face a situation we cannot control or are not familiar with, and will be expected to make a good decision. Stressful huh!
We make decisions all the time. The question is; are we making quality decisions, or decisions based on emotions or judgments? Decisions are the key for our personal and career success, and people need to understand the importance of learning how to make quality decision in life.
Decision-making is an important life skill that allows people to face challenges, opportunities, and uncertainties, while helping them find quality solutions without losing time or energy. It also increases dramatically the chances of success by helping people to feel more in control of their lives, and providing opportunities that move them toward accomplishing their career or personal goals.
For the past four years, Carolina (fictitious name) from Miami, FL has thought about returning to school. The same week she finally decided to return to school, her only sister died in a car accident. After this traumatic event, Carolina had to face the difficult decision of either starting her degree, or moving back home to be with her parents and help them cope during the difficult moment.
Carolina knew it was not going to be easy to make a decision, but going through that experience made her realize that she needed to be strong for her family, and that pushing her dreams to the side was not going to make her sister come back, nor would it make the situation any better. She realized that to help her parents cope with the situation; she needed to educate herself, develop new skills, and acquire the knowledge in specific areas that would enable her to help them.
She knew that in order to make the best decision, she needed to put in practice a good decision-making process.
If you are facing a similar situation, or life is presenting you with a situation in which you have to make an important decision, I invite you to put in practice the following steps to make sure you make the best decision.
1) Identify the problem - By identifying the problem, you will have a clear understanding of the problem you have in hand or the decision you need to make.
2) Identify your alternatives - In this step, you have to identify your alternatives and select the ones you think are the best for you.
3) Evaluate the alternatives - In this step, you have to analyze and evaluate all the alternatives you selected. Try to think outside of the box. Take the alternatives you have selected and analyze them carefully to see the pros and cons of each one of them.
4) Make a decision - This step is the most important, yet difficult one. Once you have analyzed all your alternatives, and have selected the one you think is the best for you, it is time for you to make a decision.
5) Implement your decision - After making a decision, you need to take action and implement that decision. According to Dee Reavis from http://www.business-analysis-made-easy.com, a decision has no value unless it is implemented.
Putting in practice a good decision- making process can contribute enormously to the decisions you have to make. By taking the time to apply a good decision-making process, you will feel more confident and can rest assure that you are making a planned and well-analyzed decision; a decision not based on emotions or judgments, but on facts, evidence, reason, and options.
Remember; "in any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is... nothing."
~ Theodore Roosevelt ~
Marielys Camacho-Reyes has over 10 years of experience in the human resources field. Her working experience along with her educational background has given her the necessary tools to guide individuals to discover their full potential and to complete their career or personal goals. If you would like to receive a one-time free coaching session visit her website at http://www.mcrcoaching.com
Article From: EzineArticles.com/?expert=Marielys_Camacho_Reyes
Image Credit: graur razvan ionut / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hello We are OddThemes, Our name came from the fact that we are UNIQUE. We specialize in designing premium looking fully customizable highly responsive blogger templates. We at OddThemes do carry a philosophy that: Nothing Is Impossible